Keck Observatory Science Steering Committee
The board enthusiastically endorses the importance of the SSC and has broadened its role to consider all aspects of the observatory that impact scientific capability. The SSC will work closely with the Observatory Director in this role and will keep the board informed of its considerations. Specifically:
- The SSC will establish the scientific priorities for instrumentation.
- The SSC will establish the scientific priorities for telescope development and operations.
- The SSC will advise the Observatory Director in the preparation of the integrated observatory budget.
- The SSC will develop the scientific aspects of the observatory strategic plan.
- The SSC will represent the interests of the scientific community to the observatory and board and will proactively engage and inform the community regarding observatory matters.
- The SSC will provide the board with regular assessments of the state of the observatory.
The director will develop and present to the CARA Board an integrated observatory budget that addresses the scientific priorities of the Science Steering Committee. The director will oversee the construction of the approved instruments and will report to the board on budget, schedule, and capability.
See Public Records
Wednesday, November 9th and Thursday, November 10th, 2016